Egyptian-Fraction Expansions Of REALS

Karol PENSON penson at lptl.jussieu.fr
Wed Jan 21 18:58:48 CET 2004

   Dear Thomas, I have got your message and it is dated

   Please check  what is going on to avoid any further
   complications. Karol

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Thomas Baruchel wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:05:52 +0200
> From: Thomas Baruchel <thomas.baruchel at laposte.net>
> To: seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr
> Subject: Re: Egyptian-Fraction Expansions Of REALS
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:31:13PM -0500, Jud McCranie wrote:
> > No, don't write it as 1+1+1.  For the sequence, make the first term the
> > integer part and continue with the denominators.  For one thing, the
> > Egyptians didn't do that.  Secondly, the sequence could start with a very
> > long string of 1s.  (Alternatively, skip the integer part altogether.)
>
> Right. Besides, the initial motivation for writing 1+1+1 was not good,
> because the general mind of egyptian fractions is to avoid using
> twice a fraction with identical denominator: 1/3+1/3 is forbidden.
> Just starting with "3+" is much better than "1+1+1" which would certainly
> not be "more egyptian"...

Karol A. PENSON
Universite Paris 6              |  Internet : penson at lptl.jussieu.fr.
Lab. Physique Theorique des     |
Liquides                        | http://www.lptl.jussieu.fr/users/penson
4, place Jussieu, Tour 16, Et. 5|      Tel : (33 1) 44 27 72 33
75252 Paris Cedex 05, France    |      Fax : (33 1) 44 27 51 00