Dimitroff's Puzzle

Jim Nastos nastos at cs.ualberta.ca
Thu Jun 3 19:53:13 CEST 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Pfoertner, Hugo wrote:

> (my opinion would be to move it to the comment), there should be at least a
> remark similar to the one given in
> http://www.research.att.com/projects/OEIS?Anum=A065147
> saying that the only number representible in base 1 is "0".

  This is an incorrect statement (every integer is representable in base
1); the remark given on that link does not say that 0 is the only number
representable, it is saying that it should be the only digit used (because
of the common notion that a base-n representation only uses the digits 0
through to (n-1).) And the remark merely suggests to call the string of 1s
a "unary expansion" instead of a "base-1" representation.