In One Sequence Or Another (counter-intuitive?)

Leroy Quet qq-quet at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 25 19:09:19 CET 2004

I have found a visual and more intuitive way of showing the result below.

But first I must say that floor(f(1)) need not necessarily be 1, so it IS
possible to represent every sequence of distinct positive integers by
either
{floor(f(k)) + k}
or
{ceiling(g(k)) + k -1}

for an infinite number of functions f (or g).

Basic idea behind visual proof:

First, f is a monotonically increasing function
where 0 < f(w) < 1 for some w, 0 < w < 1.

Overlay f on a grid (of unit-distance between consecutive grid-lines),
and then shade in each grid-square in which f passes through.
Call the chain of squares which approximates f's shape a "grid-path".

So, if we were to label, in order starting from the square nearest the
origin, the squares in the grid-path with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,...

then all integers of the form

floor(f(k)) + k

would be at the top-most squares of each vertical section of the
grid-path;

and all integers of the form

ceiling(g(k) + k - 1

would be a the right-most squares of each horizontal section of the
grid-path.

(I am assumming that the path is tending up and to the right.)

Since every square in the path is either a right-most square or an
upper-most square, but not both, every positive integer is either

floor(f(k)) +k
or
ceiling(g(k)) +k-1.

(Unrigorous, yes.)