In One Sequence Or Another (counter-intuitive?)

Marc LeBrun mlb at fxpt.com
Thu Mar 25 20:04:56 CET 2004

Leroy, thanks for an interesting observation.

Another way to put it might be something like:

Every monotonic function f with its inverse g partitions all suitably large
integers into two disjoint increasing sequences, namely floor(f(n))+n and
ceiling(g(n))+n-1.

So I guess if we submit a sequence with a nice formula we might want to see
if we can invert it, and submit the complement too.

This also suggests possible extensions for superseeker: given any
increasing sequence you might want to look for its complement.  And given
any positive sequence you could look for the complement of its sum.  And so on.