A simple inequality

Richard Guy rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 30 18:49:16 CEST 2004

An interesting challenge, but I doubt if there's
anything neat.  The ratio of the two sides is
about  3 : 2  so one needs to select about 2/3
of a set as being special in some sense.

Algebraically it boils down to  n^2 + 6n > 19
which is true for  n > 3.  With the usual
interpretation, there is equality for  n = 0,
1, 2.        R.