Statistics of OEIS

cino hilliard hillcino368 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 22:44:25 CET 2004

>If one looks at original sources, it'll be Euler.  I'm not sure who
>would come next, maybe Gauss or Fermat.

Surely you jest. Ain't no way the combined effort of ALL the early
mathematacians wouldl exceed njas's 38,000 or so distinct sequences many of
which are trivial I guess just to stop artificial creations by the sequence
addicts.

Euler, The most prolific writer in mathematics, I doubt spent much time
creating strings of
sequences although you could argue he would have known of the infinite
possibilities. If these guys had a program like Pari, (They could not have
afforded Mathematica or Maple) it is no telling what
they would have done in view of the fact that it is easy to make mistakes
when you do things
manully. Unfortunately, today's sequences are a product of programming,trial
and error and computer power. I think sequences are still used to test
intelligence and arithemetic aptitude by some companies.

All this said, I personally see no reason why sequences can't be done for
fun. This does not mean to string an algorithm with multiple varialbes to
infinity but to do a "three strikes and your out" to
exemplify your idea and then show the least or most in the compound sequence
(three strikes you
are out here too) and that would be the end of it.

I think we should go through the sequences and weed out the strings
violating the three strike
rule. I have seen these strings many times when I "rediscover" a sequence
already out there. And
unfortunately have been guilty violating the three strike rule by the
irristiible urge to contribute too.

If the rule of sequence acceptability is still that of being an adjunct to a
scientific work you are performing, maybe we need a SequenceForFun Database
(I created one in Yahoo) to lighten things
up a little.  This database will accept letters of the alphabet, pairs of
numbers such as twin primes 2,3,3,5,5,7,11,13,17,19..,decimal
expansions,fractions,etc. The three strike rule is in place here and
the sequences will be in english only. Also the sequences will be accepted
"as is" and hopfully users
will submit corrections as necessary.

Maybe someone can help build the proper form.

MTC,
CLH