Avoiding Colinear Points

Richard Guy rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Fri Oct 22 17:24:17 CEST 2004

I got the no-three-in-line problem from
Heilbronn over 50 years ago.  See F4 in
UPINT.  In Canad. Math. Bull. 11 (1968)
527--531; MR 39 #129 Guy & Kelly conjecture
that, for large n, at most  (c + eps)n
points can be selected, where  3c^3 = 2pi^2
i.e. c ~ 1.85.  Curiously, as recently as
last March, Gabor Ellmann pointed out an
error in our heuristic reasoning, which,
when corrected, gives  3c^2 = pi^2, or
c ~ 1.813799.  I should send a correction
to Canad Math Bull!     R.

PS.  For those with a lot of computer time
to spare, there's a lot to be discovered.
Apart from a limping odd-even phenomenon,
the number of solutions with 2n points
appears to grow exponentially at first.
Who will be the first to show that this
begins to tail off?  A000769 in OEIS