sequences from inequalities

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Sat Sep 4 01:51:06 CEST 2004

Rainer said, at the end of his message,

> Considering 2) I am completely uncertain about the values
> given. And there may be many more exceptions. Who knows?
>
> And now the SeqFan question: how to deal with such an unreliable
> sequence?

Me:  this kind of thing happens all
the time, of course.  There are two extremes:
A we have overwhelming numerical evidence
     that the terms are correct, and perhaps
     even a probablistic argument that supports them.

    Then I would include the sequence, but saying
     the values are only conjectured.

B we know very little about the problem.
     and we think that more computing will
     change the sequence

    Then I would not include the sequence

I think case B obtains here!

(for the numbers i(i+1)(i+2)...j mod "biggest square"
are randomly distributed, no?)

Neil