Parity of p(p+1)/2 for nth prime p

Richard Guy rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Fri Sep 10 20:36:49 CEST 2004

Equivalence of last two is noted at each place.

As for the first,  p(p+1)/2 is even or odd
according as p = -1 or 1 mod 4, and  p = 2n-1
is such a prime according as  n  is even or odd
respectively.

It is also known, at least to some algebraic
number theorists, that the period length of
the c.f.e. of root p is even or odd according
as p = -1 or 1 --- connected with solvability
of the Bhaskara equation  x^2 - py^2 = -1.

Proof of middle one left to the reader.   R.