How many

Olivier Gerard ogerard at ext.jussieu.fr
Mon Sep 13 15:12:34 CEST 2004

Bonjour Eric,

A mailing list is not an oracle for all questions, I am
afraid. Sometimes questions can require significant work
or can come months after the original post.

Administering and particpating to several mailing lists,
I can tell you that number of subscribers does not
matter much on how quick you get a valuable answer
about what you ask.  Most members are just silent
readers.

Seqfan has currently a little more than 220 members,
rising slowly each month. Its maximum membership
has been 307 but it was severely impacted by two flame
wars in previous years.

Olivier