Proposes updates to A033178, A033179. [multiset notations]

Edwin Clark eclark at math.usf.edu
Sat Apr 9 00:23:29 CEST 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Marc LeBrun wrote:

> The most common choice seems to be to overload exponentiation, so
>
>    {n, 2, 1x(n-2)}
>
> would be written
>
>    n^1 2^1 1^(n-2).
>
> The asymmetry of the left and right operands of ^ is already established
> and familiar, as is equivalence under reordering of the "factors".

Actually in Richard Stanley's definitive book "Enumerative Combinatorics
Volume 1" he uses {n^1,2^1,1^(n-2)} to indicate this multiset. This
emphasizes equivalence under reordering. I like to keep the distinction
between set brackets"{ } for sets  and parentheses ( ) for n-tuples
--unlike some CAS that I will not mention.:-)

--Edwin