[seqfan] Re: PS and SP numbers (bis)

Chuck Seggelin seqfan at plastereddragon.com
Fri Apr 29 15:22:19 CEST 2005

> At any rate, the finity argument goes as follows.

Wow.  I would probably have never figured this out on my own, though I spent
a couple hours last night trying.  I think I was on the right track though.
You pros blow my mind with your brainpower.  :-)

> At any rate, the finity argument goes as follows.
> Let |n|, s(n), and p(n) be the number, sum, and
> product of the base-10 digits of n.  For SP
> numbers, we have n = s(n) concat p(n), so that
> |n| = |s(n)| + |p(n)|.

Okay so "|x|" = "the number of digits of x" as opposed to "the absolute
value of x"?

When I started trying to figure this out myself  this was the path I was
going down.  I asked myself, for x (a number of N digits), what is the
maximum length of s(x) and p(x)? Both maximums are achieved when x is
composed entirely of 9's.  This means the maximum s(x) for an N digit number
is 9*N and the maximum p(x) is 9^N.  But the maximum p(x) for an N digit
number at least early on is N digits, if .  I tested exponents up to 15 and
then took a different, complex, and ultimately erroneous tack.

If I had pushed on, I would have found that 9^N does not always have N
digits--at some point |9^N| < N.  And continuing on there is a point where
|9^N| + |9*N| < N.  As you note that happens at 88 digits.  9^88 is 84
digits long.  9*88 is 3 digits long.  84 + 3 = 87 which is less than 88, so
there can be no 88 digit SP number.

If I push on to the point where s(9*N) is 4 digits to try and make up for
that missing digit, I end up at N=112.  But in the meantime the gap between
|9^N| and N has grown.  |9*112| = 4 but |9^112| = 107.  107 + 4 = 111 which
is still less than 112.

By the time |9*N| reaches 5 (at N = 1112), the gap between |9^N| and N has
increased to 50 digits (|9^N| = 1062).  Clearly there is no hope of |9^N| +
|9*N| >= N when N >= 88.

Thanks!

                    -- Chuck

PS: BTW, shouldn't A062237 include 0?  s(0) = 0, p(0) = 0, and the
concatenation of the two is 00 which is numerically equivalent to 0 so isn't
0 an SP number?