Suggestion for "more" page.

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Mon Aug 8 18:46:18 CEST 2005

According to the format page:

hard: Next term is not known, and may be hard to find. Would someone please
extend this sequence?

Even if we promise to avoid epistomological questions, there is much
practical vagueness with this definition.  Known to whom?  Hard to find for
whom?

Oftentimes, an author with generally limited mathematical skils and/or
ignorance of a specific area of mathematics (e.g, Polya counting methods)
will find a particular sequence hard to extend while another may find it
easier.  An example is A018807.  Prior to my work on this sequence, a(4) =
281571 was the largest value I was able to find in the literature.  I wrote
a brute-force king-placing program that was able to compute a(5) = 32572756,
a(6) would have taken weeks to compute by this method.  Finally I hit on a
state-machine algorithm that allowed me to compute the remaining values you
find on that sequence.  In theory, it could have computed several more
terms, but space limititations on my machine caused thrashing that made
computing the next term practically impossible.

The same technique could be applied to other sequences.  For example, I
beleive there is a sequence that counts rook tours on a 4xn board which is
labeled "hard".  The technique I used for A018807 could greatly extend this
sequence, so in a computational sense it is "easy".  However, writing the
algorithm is difficult (which is why I haven't attempted it), so in that
sense the sequence is "hard".