No of sudokus, A107739

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Fri Aug 12 20:34:03 CEST 2005

In a sudoku, rows, columns, and boxes must be filled using the same set of
numbers, which implies that rows, columns and boxes will all have the same
number of cells.  An immediate consequence is that a sudoku is square.

If, in addition, we require that the box be square, then it will have a
square number of cells, implying that the rows and columns will as well.
This means that the sudoku will have side n = k^2 (k >= 1).  This gives a
natural way to write sudoku sequences, with a(k) referring to sudokus of
side k^2.

If we allow a box to be rectangular, there will d(n) sudoku formats of side
n, where d(x) is the number of divisors of x.  For example, a 6 x 6 sudoku
might have 1 x 6, 2 x 3, 3 x 2, or 6 x 1 boxes, giving d(6) = 4 sudoku
formats.  If we consider an a x b box equivalent to a b x a box, there are
ceil(d(n)/2) sudoku formats of side n.  If we further require the boxes to
be distinct from rows or columns, we are left with ceil(d(n)/2)-1 distinct
sudoku formats of side n.

These conditions imply that for primes p, q:

    - if n = 1 or n = p, there are no sudoku formats of side n.
    - if n = pq or n = p^3, there is a unique sudoku format of side n.
    - otherwise, there are more than one sudoku formats of side n.

For example, a sudoku of side 7 has no acceptable boxes.  The only
possiblity, a 1 x 7 box, is equivalent to a row.  A sudoku of side 10 could
have a 2 x 5 box, this is the only possibility.  A sudoku of side 12 could
have a 2 x 6 or 3 x 4 box.

The upshot is, if we allow rectangular boxes, there can be any number of
soduko formats of a given side.  This makes a sequence of statistics on such
sudokus somewhat complicated.  What would a(12) count, the number of sudokus
with boxes of size 2 x 6 or of 3 x 4, or both?