offsets

Alexandre Wajnberg alexandre.wajnberg at skynet.be
Tue Aug 23 00:30:29 CEST 2005

Hello all and Neil and Éric,

Regarding the difficulties (encountered by some people including me) to
complete correctly the "offset" line, and to clarify the explanations
for the newcomers at OEIS,
I suggest to add more exemples in the help file.
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/eishelp1.html

The only two illustrations are Fibonacci:
%S A000045 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144,233,377,
and Characteristic function of primes: A010051
0,0,1,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0

...both begining with 0, AND having first offset 0, which may be
confusing (now I know!).

I suggest to add exemples of sequences having offsets like
1,1
1,2
1,3
or even 15,x (I saw one, recently, don't remember which one),
AND beginning with an a(first term) different than 1, in order to cover
the most frequent cases.

Alexandre

PS for Éric: if you still need explanation for the first offset,
I 'll do it next friday at the Napoli!  ;-)