[SeqFan] Number of linear extensions of divisibility lattices? A shorter definition.

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:05:47 CET 2005

On 12/17/05, Antti Karttunen <antti.karttunen at gmail.com> wrote:

 Factor a natural number n into its divisors. If there are only
> one or two, then it is 1 or a prime, in which case there are
> exactly one solution. Otherwise, discard the tirivial divisors
> 1 and n itself, leaving tau(n)-2 divisors d_i,...,d_k (where tau =
> A000005),
> and pair them with integers 1..(tau(n)-2): i_i,...,i_k
> in such a way, that if d_i divides d_j, then
> for their corresponding integers
> i_i and i_j it holds that i_i <= i_j.

I realize that i ja j look extremely similar on some fonts,
so let's rephrase this as:

... in such a way, that if d_i divides d_k, then for their corresponding
integers
i_i and i_k it holds that i_i <= i_k.

But, fortunately, there is even more succinct way to put this:
"How many ways there are arrange the divisors of n, in such a way,
that no divisor has any of _its own_ divisors following after it."
(or equally "... has all its divisors before it".)

E.g. for 12, the following five arrangements are possible:

1,2,3,4,6,12
1,2,3,6,4,12
1,2,4,3,6,12
1,3,2,4,6,12
1,3,2,6,4,12

but e.g.
1,2,6,4,3,12
is not possible, because 3 divides 6 but follows after it.

Mitch Harris had already computed this to begin as:
1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 2 1 5 1 2 2 1 1 5 1 5 2 2 1 14 1 2 1 5 1 48 1 1 2 2 2 42
but I'm afraid that I have no time to submit it before January.
If anybody wants to do it meanwhile, please go ahead.

-- Same.

And rest of my old comments still apply:

Do this in some sensible experimental way, that