[SeqFan] Number of linear extensions of divisibility lattices and of other posets?

Frank Ruskey ruskey at cs.uvic.ca
Thu Dec 15 23:21:36 CET 2005

Dear Antti,
A few quick comments on the labelled version of your problem:

For prime powers the answer will be 1.

For numbers of the form p^n*q^m with p and q prime
the answer will be easily computable from the
hook-length formula for standard Young Tableau.

For the others I don't think there is any known
formulae.  E.g., for the boolean lattice,
which you get when all the primes in the factorization
occur with exponent 1, there is no formula, just asymptotics.
To compute these for specific small values,
you could use my program for generating linear extensions:
http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~ruskey/Publications/ExtensionFast/ExtensionFast.html
(note that a particular initial labelling of the poset is required).

Regarding your last question, there is a "hook-length"
formula for trees (with a much easier proof).
You divide by the product of the subtree sizes, rather
than the product of the hook-lengths.

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Ruskey             e-mail: (last_name)(AT)cs(DOT)uvic(DOT)ca