Sequence counting question

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Thu Dec 22 04:50:34 CET 2005

I've gotten a little further on this.  This sequence can be generated as the row sums of the triangle defined by: a(n,m) = a(n-1,m-1) + a(n-1,m) + m * a(n-1,m+1).  This triangle starts:
1
1 1
2 2 1
4 6 3 1
10 16 12 4 1
26 50 40 20 5 1

a(n,m) is that number of sequences of length n which will limit the continuation to size n+1 to a maximum value of m+1.  Using this, I have verified the match with A005425 for 18 terms.

This triangle also appears to be in the OEIS: it is A111062.  However, A111062 does not have the formula above, and I don't see how to establish it.  (Incidently, A111062 has a typo - the third from the last term should be 72, not 42.  The value 72 is shown correctly in the example.)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters
16 W. Michigan Ave.
Palatine, IL 60067
847-776-7645