Base Rep Puzzle

Michele Dondi blazar at pcteor1.mi.infn.it
Wed Dec 28 13:44:20 CET 2005

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, David Wilson wrote:

> For n >= 2, what is the smallest positive integer that has a different number
> of digits in each of the bases 2 through n?

For n=2 all numbers have a different number of digits in all bases b, c in
{ 2 ... 2 } == {2} with b != c, (since there are none such b, c!) so the
smallest positive one is 1.

For n=3 it is 2.

In the general case the number of digits of N in base b is approximately
(and it is exactly this "approximately" that makes the
question interesting!) C(b) := log(N)/log(b). Now the smallest difference
C(b)-C(b') in absolute value is log(N)(1/log(n-1)-1/log(n)) and it becomes
1 for

1/log(n-1) - 1/log(n) = 1/log(N).

For large n the left hand member is approximately 1/(n log n)^2 and we
find the condition

n log n = log(N)^1/2,

this is not solvable in terms of elementary functions either, but may give
a starting point around which to look at and possibly information about
asymptotic behaviour, although certainly a more refined analysis would be
required for both...

Michele
--
People suck. But they are worth it. (And never forget that you're people
too. And you are worth it.)