Base Rep Puzzle

Jack Brennen jb at brennen.net
Wed Dec 28 20:59:00 CET 2005

To correct my earlier post, the sequence runs as shown below (for
n=2 to 100)...  (Assuming my algorithm is correct -- it's certainly
better than my hand calculations from earlier.)

The base of each member seems to be roughly n-O(log n*log log n).
The exponent of each member seems to be roughly n*O(log n).

The sequence of bases seems to only have deltas of +1 or 0.
The sequence of exponents seems to only have positive deltas.

Note that one of the elements I gave earlier was wrong -- I
had 6^12 rather than 6^11 -- and I rewrote the first entry as
2^0 rather than 1^1, in order to preserve the property that the
exponents increase in a strictly monotonic fashion.

2^0
2^1
3^2
3^4