Long Messages

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 17:59:31 CET 2005

Rich Schroeppel recently repeated his no-attachments warning for
math-fun mail.  I'm assuming I was probably the offender here, by
accidentally submitting my Ulam pic to math-fun.  In deference to
the rules, I did not originally post the pic to math-fun, but rather
offered the picture on request, and got several requests.  It is
not inconceivable that in satisfying those requests, I accidentally
submitted the picture to math-fun.  My mail tool (Outlook Express)
makes this and other annoying things quite easy to do with the
touch of a button.

At any rate, Rich mentioned that he discourages long messages and
attachments in math-fun in deference to subscribers with slow
connections, which is laudable.  On the other hand, I imagine that
the overwhelming majority of math-fun/seqfan users have no such
issues with long messages.  My thought is that if math-fun/seqfan
were to maintain a second mailing list or forwarding address for
long messages (e.g, math-fun-long(AT)mailmain.xmission.com),
I could have just posted my Ulam pic there with no hassle.