[math-fun] Re: True So Far [errata]

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Tue Feb 22 15:17:40 CET 2005

Because my results disagreed with Chuck Seggelin's, I rechecked
my program.  There was a subtle bug in the termination code that
caused me to drop the last three elements.  When fixed, my sequence
coincides with Seggelin's.

The finity argument I gave before is basically sound.  At a(2024) = 8945,
the largest digit count is 894 5's.  There are no more elements up to
8950.  At 8950 and beyond, the "count" part of the number exceeds
894, and so cannot be in the sequence.  Ergo the sequence is finite,
with largest element a(2024) = 8945.