Google vs OEIS

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Wed Feb 23 11:42:49 CET 2005

* Karol PENSON <penson at lptl.jussieu.fr> [Feb 22. 2005 15:06]:

>    Dear Neil, Dear Seqfans,
>
>    I have just discovered the existence of a test version ("beta version" )
>     of a new search engine which is a mutation of Google but specialized
>     in research papers and scientific data banks:
>
>          http://www.scholar.google.com/
>
>    It has a dialogue box  through which one can , I think,  get some infos
>    how to adapt a given data structure so that Google can crawl into it.
>    I suppose it could be adapted to search the OEIS.
>    Any practical ideas ?
>
>           Best regards   , Karol  A. Penson
>
> [...]

Note that scholar.google.com almost exclusively points you to those
"pay portals" where you have to pay up to 30USD for one paper.  They
seem to supress results where you get the identical papers (or drafts)
for free, like on the author's web sites. That (result supression) now
even seems to hold for the plain google.  Rather stinky IMO.

CiteSeer, ArXiv, etc are still the way to go.

--
p=2^q-1 prime <== q>2, cosh(2^(q-2)*log(2+sqrt(3)))%p=0
Life is hard and then you die.