OEIS in WiKi, is it a good idea?

Max relf at unn.ac.ru
Mon Jan 31 12:09:01 CET 2005

Hello!

Wouldn't it be a good idea to power up OEIS with a WiKi-like engine?
That would allow everybody edit details of any sequence, and let the community take care of the OEIS and constantly improve it.

As for me, sometimes I find myself in situation when I would like to make a small change in some existing sequence (e.g., add a reference or a couple of new terms, or cross-link it to another sequence etc.). But currently this cannot be done in a straightforward way and requires to contact Neil. So usually I decide that the proposed change is not important enough to bother Neil.
But if there was a WiKi engine, I would simply make the change myself.

I see the only problem with WiKified OEIS. It is a potential mess if anybody is allowed to add new sequences. For new sequences, it makes sense to add them only after approval by trusted maintainers like it is done now.

Regards,
Max