complex perfect numbers

David Wasserman dwasserm at earthlink.com
Thu Jan 13 04:36:31 CET 2005

If a + bi divides z, then so do -b + ai, -a - bi, and b - ai.  b + ai usually doesn't, so it doesn't make sense to include it.

If we add up all of these divisors, we get 0.  We can get nontrivial results by adding up divisors in one quadrant, or in one half-plane.

I couldn't find a standard definition of "perfect" in the Gaussian integers, so I'm in favor of using any definition that 1) is somehow related to the usual definition in N, and 2) leads to an interesting sequence.  Just make sure you specify the definition.

 - David