a puzzle sequence that is going around

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sun Jan 16 02:26:14 CET 2005

At http://mathforum.org/dr.math/ask/submit.html, we are told that
that the sequence is from a contest at http://www.neopets.com/.
neopets.com is gaming site devoted to virtual pets for children.
The sequence generates a few other Google hits, one of them
references http://www.neopets.com/games/conundrum.phtml,
a page I cannot read because the neopets.com site is member-only.
Presumably this latter page is the Internet source of the sequence.
It seems odd that such a tough chestnut would be aimed at such
a young audience.

So where did you get your purported answer, Dr. Guy?