Google's indexing of the OEIS

Michele Dondi blazar at pcteor1.mi.infn.it
Thu Jan 20 10:54:58 CET 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, N. J. A. Sloane wrote:

> Some of the suggestions were:
>
>   ls | egrep '^oeis' | ...
>
>   ls | grep oeis | ...
>
>   find -name "a*" -prune | ...
>
> and "xargs" is the command that I would use myself.

The problem is exactly with xargs. Granted: it's a fantastic tool, but if
the list passed to it is huge, then you may run into troubles. The best
solution IMHO is to avoid it altogether (it only takes a few more
keyestrokes and adds much flexibility) and read line by line. I do it all
the time, when chances are that the list is too big (well, when I write
shell scripts, that is, which is rare after all, since I mostly write
Perl scripts nowadays).

Michele
--
Zero was invented by primitive man, after a successful intercourse with his
first female companion.