searching for +/-1 sequences

Eric W. Weisstein eww at wolfram.com
Thu Jan 20 18:32:56 CET 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, N. J. A. Sloane wrote:

> Eric,  I should add something to Superseeker so
> it does a better job on +1,-1 sequences.
> (But it will have to wait a few weeks, probably.)

I think that would be very useful.

> I can help with one of your questions though. You said:
> If I just search for 1,1,1,1,1,..., I get a maximum of 30 hits.
>
> If you use the Advanced Search page you can change the max no. of hits!

Only up to a max of 100, though.  Approximately how many sequences of
only -1's and +1's are there in OEIS? ;)

Also, superseeker returns a max of 50, so one would still need to get
fewer than 50 hits back (even in a tweaked version) to know that a given
sequence wasn't actually in OEIS.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Mitchell Harris wrote:

> This is not exactly what you're looking for but it may give some leads:
>
> do the transformation (a(n) + 1)/2. turns it into a 0,1 sequence and
> searching I get A011675 and A011731.

Very true, but I don't think that addresses the underlying issue.  I would
like to be able to find my actual sequence in OEIS, not just some
transformation of it.

Cheers,
-Eric