OEIS in WiKi, is it a good idea?

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 17:14:14 CET 2005

I don't like that idea either, and I say that as someone who has found
Wikipedia very useful.

When someone edits a Wikipedia article to add a reference to Sloane's
OEIS, no one questions the validity of the source. On the other hand,
if I write an essay for school with my only reference being from
Wikipedia, I can probably forget about getting an A.

Another reason a Wiki engine is not a good idea for the OEIS is that
the OEIS consists of a lot of numbers. Mistakes, like typos, are
harder for a human to detect in a long stream of numbers. Try
switching a couple of digits in an 20-digit palindromic prime. It
could stand that way for a long time. Even worse, imagine a mistake in
a 10-digit number where the only means of double-checking might be
running a month-long calculation. On the other hand, if I write i
before e after c in Wikipedia, you bet someone will correct it the
next minute.

The Wiki paradigm is excellent for many applications. The OEIS is not
one of them.

Alonso