generating function for interesting sequence

Franklin T. Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Jul 9 04:06:42 CEST 2005

"Andrew Plewe" <aplewe at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>I've stumbled on an interesting sequence (although for some reason it looks
>familiar...) and I'm looking for a generating function a(n).  First, a few
>terms of the sequence:
>
>Which is a triangle read by anti-diagonals:
>
>3   8   15  24  35  48
>5   12  21  32  45
>7   16  27  40
>9   20  33
>11  24
>13

Well, first of all, there clearly should be another line before this:
1   4    9  16  25  36  49
3   8   15  24  35  48
5   12  21  32  45
7   16  27  40
9   20  33
11  24
13

And we can see that the sequence is differences of two squares:
  1-0   4-0   9-0  16-0  25-0  36-0  49-0
  4-1   9-1  16-1  25-1  36-1  49-1
  9-4  16-4  25-4  36-4  49-4
 16-9  25-9  36-9  49-9