a puzzle sequence

Graeme McRae g_m at mcraefamily.com
Fri Jul 29 22:52:31 CEST 2005

Has anyone had any luck with this one?  I posted this question on a math
board I frequent (nrich.maths.org) but so far the only comments have been
that the numbers alternate between two-digit and three-digit, and that they
are a pair of primes followed by a pair of non-primes, and continuing to
alternate in that fashion.  I googled for "87   711   43   269   65   555
39   421   17" and saw someone asked the question back in February, on the
FreeMathHelp.com message board, as follows:

ritanyc
Full Member
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Location: New York City
87, 711, 43, 269, 65, 555, 39, 421, 17,.......
What are the next 5 numbers?
_________________
Thank you for your help,
Rita

Denis
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
s'that supposed to be mathematical, or alpha related,
or just a plain old puzzle?
I'm just an imagination of your figment!

But then there was no follow-up with answers to Denis' questions or an
actual answer.  I googled for "ritanyc" and found an email address, but who
knows if there are many ritas in nyc?  I bet there are.  In any case, I sent
an email to that address asking if she ever got an answer to this question.
I'll let you know if anything turns up.  In the mean time, has anyone else
made any progress?

--Graeme