troubles at Superseeker and the sequence lookup email services caused by spam filter

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Fri Jun 10 23:57:11 CEST 2005

Dear Seqfans,

It has just been brought to my attention that, because of the Spam filters on
our machines, a lot of email messages to  superseeker at research.att.com  and
sequences at research.att.com  have been corrupted before they reach my programs.

Specifically, lines like this have been added to the start
of the messages:

  Spam detection software, running on the system "mail-brown.research.att.com", has

  Content preview:  lookup 1 3 6 10 15 Lookup 1 3 6 10 15 [...]

Note the line that has been underlined (by me).  As you all know,
the only kind of line you can write is

lookup 1 3 6 10 15

Anything else, any other letters, even, or square brackets, or periods,
 causes the message to be rejected
by the lookup program.  So any message that suffered this preprocessing
would be silently rejected.

I apologize for this, and will try to fix it.

Neil Sloane