Sudoku

Thane Plambeck thane at best.com
Thu Jun 2 17:23:57 CEST 2005

I noticed this paragraph on a blog and thought I would pass it on
(although I don't know if the problem is well posed, or even what it is,
exactly)

*  snip *
Counting version: How many different filled in Sudoku-n grids are there?
Let me get you started: For n=1, the answer is 1. For n=2... actually, I
don't know, but there are at most (4!)^4 ways to arrange 4 lines of
permutations of {1,2,3,4}, so checking all 300,000-ish possibilities
won't take too long on a modern PC. Someone who is a whiz with
mathematica could probably do this in a few lines of code. But for 3,
one will need some smarter techniques to do the counting, perhaps
building up satisfying sublocks, and using symmetries more cleverly. I
couldn't spot any entries in Neil Sloane's encylopedia of integer
sequences <http://www.research.att.com/%7Enjas/sequences/> for this
problem yet...
* snip *

Here's where I found it