Virus mail and such

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 17 01:36:37 CEST 2005

* Hugo Pfoertner <all at abouthugo.de> [050617 04:20]:
> I just got an E-mail with a zip attachment "nomoney.zip" containing the
> virus  WORM/NetSky.B.1.
>
> The - probably faked - sender was
>
> Subject: hello
>    Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:10:08 +0200
>    From: 2gpower at libero.it
>      To: all at abouthugo....
> Content:

If you look in the actual headers of the mail message, you might be
able to identify the culprit.  For example, your message to the group
has the headers below.  The path of your message is traced from
p54990D10.dip0.t-ipconnect.de, which claims to be abouthugo.de,
up to shiva.jussieu.fr and then to me.  These headers can be faked
except for the very last one (my computer knows exactly where it
got the message from), but spammers and viruses often don't bother
because few people ever look at the headers.

Brendan.