Request for information about basis representation

Andrew Plewe aplewe at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 1 00:51:47 CET 2005

Regarding your last question, I'd like to determine the properties of the factor base for a "rebasing" sequence and whether or not
that factor base follows any particular rules, is random, etc., and not just for 2[n]q but  other bases as well (say, 7[n]q or
15[n]q).  Another question I have is if prime bases produce sets with different properties than composite bases.

To make things more interesting, what sorts of things happen if we perform various arithmetic operations using base q logic on n and
its counterpart in the rebasing sequence?  We can start with straightforward logical circuits such as half-adders implemented in
base q logic (the binary AND generalizes to floor((a+b)/n) and XOR to a+b = XOR mod n, for some digits a and b in base n), but since
the possibilites for different truth tables multiply rapidly as q increases, the possibilites for doing other strange sorts of
operations multiply rapidly as well.

Quick note; Edwin Clark off-list pointed out a basic mistake I made in my original email -- it's incorrect to state {1, 0, 0, 0, 1,
1} is a set of coefficients, rather it's a sequence of coefficients and should be written (1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1).

	-Andrew Plewe-