my troubles with the cable company

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Thu Mar 24 00:27:43 CET 2005

Dear Seqfans,   One of the things that has
made it harder to maintain the OEIS in the past few
months is that quite often my cable modem connection will die.

Typically I have 7 windows open, editing the big OEIS main file,
reading the Comments file, reading email, running Maple,
editing the Comments, checking for new email.

Suddenly, with no warning, all the windows will disappear.
This happened at 8:30 today and the line was not restored until 10:30.
It happened again at 15:52 and was not restored for 90 minutes.

This adds a huge overhead because i have to recover all the
unsaved files, etc etc

It's also almost impossible to reach the cable company to report the problem.
They have an automated voice system designed to drive one insane.

The name of the company is CableVision/Optimum Online.

(Maybe someone in that organization is a sequence fan and can get me
a better connection?)

The only competition here is from Verizon DSL. Have any seqfans found
them to provide reliable service? Or to have good technical support?

NJAS