well posed problem?

Franklin T. Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Mar 12 01:20:02 CET 2005

First, shouldn't these numbers be one higher?  The empty set always sums to zero.

Second, why not say the nth roots of 1, instead of -1?  The values are the same (just rotate by pi/n), and this formulation is simpler.

Third, I think some of these values must be wrong.  Since the entire set of roots always sums to 0 for n > 1, a set and its complement must either both or neither sum to 0; hence (for n > 1, and after adding 1 as in my first point) the number of sets summing to 0 must be even.

--
Franklin T. Adams-Watters
16 W. Michigan Ave.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.