Shortest path sequence

Roland Bacher Roland.Bacher at ujf-grenoble.fr
Fri Mar 25 07:46:14 CET 2005

It is easy to prove that $a(n)/n$ tends to $\sqrt{2}$ for $n$
going to infinity: The number of steps with indices $\leq k$
in the algorithm is easily seen to be bounded and steps
with high indices are more and more parallel to then vector (1,1).

It is also easy to prove that you cannot do better: this follows
from properties of convergents of continued fractions.

Perhaps more interesting are analogous problems in higher
dimensions (say from $(0,0,0)$ to (n,n,n)$ in $Z^3$): higher
dimensional analgues of continued fractions are a delicate topic
which is not very well understood to my nowledge.

Roland