shoelaces and aglets

Gerald McGarvey Gerald.McGarvey at comcast.net
Mon May 16 06:19:20 CEST 2005

Here's my take on this...

Suppose you pick up 2*k aglets out of 2*n aglets, there are
C(2n,2k) ways of doing this.

That leaves 2*(n-k) aglets not-picked, we want none of the not-picked
aglets to be on the same shoelace.

How many ways are there of not-picking 2*(n-k) aglets such that no two
are on the same shoelace?
They must be on 2*(n-k) different shoelaces, which are chosen
from n shoelaces; there are C(n,2*(n-k)) ways of doing this choosing.
But each not-picked aglet can be on either end of its shoelace,
so multiply each of those ways by 2^(2*(n-k)) for a total of
2^(2*(n-k)) * C(n,2*(n-k)).

So we want 2^(2*(n-k)) * C(n,2*(n-k)) to be more than 1/2 of C(2n,2k).

Is that correct?

Gerald