puzzle sequences

Joshua Zucker joshua.zucker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:55:01 CET 2005

I am a volunteer for Ask Dr Math, so I often get puzzle sequences sent
in.  Most of them are pretty easy, and I can figure them out myself,
or the OEIS search/superseeker takes care of them.

But a few stump me and superseeker too.  Sometimes typos cause the
problems.  Sometimes I just have no idea.  Most of them come from high
school classrooms.  Maybe some of them don't have any pattern and are
just practical jokes.

Here's a few that have stumped me lately.  If you have any ideas,
please let me know so I can help these students (and me!) learn
something.  As far as I know, none are related to each other in any
way.

Thanks,
--Joshua Zucker aka Dr. Schwa at http://mathforum.org/dr.math

1000, 72, 5, 25, 7  Hint: other patterns from this student included 1,
5, 10, 25, 50 (money) and 60, 60, 24, 7, 52 (time, though I think that
52 is a bit arguable!  52 1/7?  52 5/28?  or something even more
exact?  But whatever, call it an integer sequence and it's 52 I
guess.).

30 28 32 38 40 42 46 52 60 60 64 68

7,8,4,6,25,26,13,15