So why accept? (was: Primefree sequences in the OEIS.)

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 17:25:53 CEST 2005

> >So why to accept them? It seems that almost every post is (a kind of) quasi
> >automatically entered. (Sometimes we are surprised)

Because sometimes a sequence turns out to have unexpected connections
to other sequences. At first it would seem there's nothing interesting
about sequence "n such that f(n) is prime, where f(x) is a Rube
Goldberg-like function," or the sequence of multiples of 42.

The OEIS already has quite a few "multiples of n" sequences (at least
for n up to 21). Some of them have just the required fields plus a
link to the INRIA Algorithms Project.

But at least one of them has turned out to have an interesting,
unexpected property. For A008597, the multiples of 15, Benoit Cloitre
noticed that these are "n such that the last decimal digit of
Fibonacci(n) is zero." I think that's interesting. Why would every
15th Fibonacci number be divisible by 10? It's true, at least for the
first thousand Fibonacci numbers.

Alonso

P.S. I doubt there's anything interesting about the multiples of 42.
The sequence of multiples of 47 bears some similarity to A004943 and
A004963. It might be just a coincidence.
2nd P.S. I would of course make sure there was something truly bona
fide interesting about a "multiples of n" sequence before submitting
it to the OEIS, though I wouldn't hesitate to mention it on this
mailing list.