Number of rotation subgroups of S_n

Ross La Haye rlahaye at new.rr.com
Tue Oct 11 00:55:46 CEST 2005

This may be a stretch, but I've been thinking about a particular formula for
the number of k-length walks=trails=paths in the Boolean algebra of order n:
(2n)!! / ((n-k)!2^k) (applies to A090802).  (2n)!! is the order of the
automorphism group for the n-cube (A000165) and I was wondering what its
subgroups were like, mainly due to the denominator in the formula...In other
words, it seems like the denominator is partitioning the elements of the
automorphism group in some way, but maybe I'm confused...At any rate, if I'm
not mistaken, the automorphism group of the n-cube is constructed by
rotations and reflections...so perhaps there may be some intersection
between my interest and the number of rotation subgroups of S_n...probably a
stretch, like I said, but thought I'd throw it out just in case...BTW, isn't
S_n itself an automorphism group...?

Ross