Piled polyominos

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sun Oct 16 04:17:28 CEST 2005

Joseph S. Myers jsm at polyomino.org.uk wrote

>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, franktaw at netscape.net wrote:
>
>>  It starts to get interesting when we allow rotations.  Many piled
>> polyominos cannot be rotated, but some can.  Allowing rotations but not
>> reflections, we get a sequence that starts:
>>
>> 1,1,3,5,11,24,51,110
>
>As I understand this sequence a(3) should be 2, the possibilities being
>If p(n) is the number of partitions of n (A000041) and D(n) is the number
>of divisors of n that are <= sqrt(n) (A038548) then I think this should be
>
>a(n) = 2^(n-1) - p(n) + D(n)
>
>... which I think gives
>
>1,1,2,5,10,23,50,108,...
>
>which also doesn't seem to be in the database.

This is correct.  I was double-counting the non-square self-dual partitions.
A similar argument gives the sequence eliminating reflection duplicates as:
A005418(n) - A000701(n); A005418 is the total number invariant under reflections (2^(n-2)+2^([n/2]+1), and A000701 is the number of pairs of non-self dual partitions.
>Joseph S. Myers
>jsm at polyomino.org.uk

Franklin T. Adams-Watters16 W. Michigan Ave.Palatine, IL 60067847-776-7645
Look What The New Netscape.com Can Do!
Now you can preview dozens of stories and have the ones you select delivered to you without ever leaving the Top Home Page. And the new Tool Box gives you one click access to local Movie times, Maps, White Pages and more.  See for yourself at http://netcenter.netscape.com/netcenter/