Dan's Triangular numbers / Primes post

Graeme McRae g_m at mcraefamily.com
Wed Oct 19 17:25:28 CEST 2005

This question is very similar to the question "why can a prime number, p, be
written as the difference of two squares in only one way?"

To answer that question, you need to factor the difference of two squares,
and see that if the product is prime, then one of the factors must be 1.

In the same way, the difference between the nth and the mth triangle number
is

(m)(m+1)/2 - (n)(n+1)/2, which equals

(m-n)(m+n+1)/2

If this product is a prime, p, then either m-n=2 and m+n+1=p, or else m-n=1
and m+n+1=2p.  No other pair of numbers, m,n, will result in this product
being equal to p.

--Graeme