Primefree sequences in the OEIS. A bad idea.

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:03:52 CEST 2005

David Wilson wrote:

> As an editor, I opine that sequences in which a(n) depends on sequence
> numbers (A,M,N-numbers) do not belong in the OEIS.  Such sequences are
> of marginal interest, no utility, and are difficult to maintain. Were
> it my database, I would prohibit adding any new sequences of this
> sort, and would cull the existing ones (A051070, A031214, et al).

I agree,

even when such An-related sequences are well-defined (e.g. listing the
successive rows of a well-constructed square array) they are wholly
"contingent", not "mathematical" facts. Of course, preserving a data
structure
"a vector of An-numbers" for the _internal_ use of some future version
of OEIS-platform might make sense.

However, I would still keep the sequences:

http://www.research.att.com/projects/OEIS?Anum=A051070
and

http://www.research.att.com/projects/OEIS?Anum=A107357

because of their "historical" interest, i.e. their "dead" versions
http://www.research.att.com/projects/OEIS?Anum=A031135 and
http://www.research.att.com/projects/OEIS?Anum=A037181

(NOTE to NJAS: note that the latter refers erroneously to 107354,
as it should point readers to 107357 !)

are mentioned in: Sloane's "My Favorite Integer Sequences":
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/doc/sg.ps
)
as well as demonstrating something about the cardinality
of Z^N, i.e. how the "Diagonal method" lurks even in the OEIS!

Terveisin,

Antti

PS. Am I only one to whom the SeqFan-server does not send his/her own SeqFan-postings?
(Has the mailing list software been changed in this respect?)