about the OEIS

Thomas Baruchel baruchel at bluebottle.com
Mon Oct 31 17:24:56 CET 2005

On Dim, oct 30, 2005 at 07:40:07 -0500, N. J. A. Sloane wrote:
> 3.  my acceptance of sequences that are not especially
> mathematical slows down the lookups.  I don't think
> this is true.  In any case see 2. above.

In fact, it is not exactly what I was saying, but please note that I am
not complaining: OEIS is great ; I take in it what has some interest for
me and I am happy it does exist. What I was saying is that when working
on my private copy of the stripped.gz by algorithm performing long
computations on each sequence, I have to remove before all sequences that
would slow down the computation by making my program think a sequence
has some interest (for me) though it doesn't --- for instance, if a sequence
contains a term having a great common factor with some Bernoulli number,
my tools will certainly think this sequence should be compared with
other number theory related sequences, wasting my CPU time because actually
the sequence has no interest since it is only a base related sequence
or some typographical puzzle. I was not speaking about online lookups.

Regards,

--
Thomas Baruchel
  Home Page: http://baruchel.free.fr/~thomas/