sums of factors in GF(2)

Marc LeBrun mlb at well.com
Wed Aug 2 00:35:03 CEST 2006

Recently I've been trying to exhort the Sequence Phanatiques to
compute analogs of the sum-of-prime-factors (with and without
multiplicity) in other arithmetics, such as Gaussian integers, GF(2), etc.

I was wondering, specifically about GF(2), summing (ie XORing) the
prime factors of N with multiplicity:

Noting that only the square-free part of N matters, since the square
parts sum to 0...

A. Aside from the perfect squares (eg 5) are there any other N that
sum to 0?  Can they be characterized?

B. If some sum S occurs for any N then it occurs infinitely, for all
the square multiples of N.  Does every value of S occur?