Subscripting (was: Base change notation)

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Aug 16 20:06:03 CEST 2006

Touching on just a couple of small points, the usual convention with
the underscore is that only the minimum is considered to be subscripted
- a single variable, number, or parenthesized expression.  So a_i+1 is
(a_i)+1, not a_(i+1).  I would expect the same to apply here.

As for parens vs. braces, I think you can use either.  The implication,
inherited (I believe) from Tex, is that parens would be part of the
formula as it would be formatted for display, while the braces are just
to show the extent of the subscripting.  E.g., a_(i+1) represents

  (i+1)

while a_{i+1} represents

  i+1

Since we're just presenting formulas in the OEIS, not formatting them
for display, this distinction doesn't really matter to us.  So again,
use either one.  (This applies to superscripts with ^, too.)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters