Demotion of Pluto as a planet

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 13:40:06 CEST 2006

Lßbos ElemÚr wrote:

>On 24 Aug 2006, at 21:16, cino hilliard wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>The celestial object we call Pluto was demoted from its  planet status
>>today.
>>
>>Sequences
>>
>>A070273,A11050,A116448,A118952
>>
>>need to be corrected. I was going to comment on these  but apparantly my
>>comments are not
>>going through to the database.
>>
>>Too bad about Pluto. Now Mickey Mouse and Goofy will not become astronauts
>>so they can visit Pluto. However, numerically, not all is lost. The number
>>of planets is still a perfect power.
>>
>>Have fun,
>>Cino
>>

>How astrologists react to the loss of planet status of Pluto?

From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_redefinition_of_planet

"Some astrologers were unhappy that they were left out of the
discussion, though astrology has been shown to have
 no scientific basis and therefore has no relevance or interest to
astronomy or astronomers.[31]"

Furthermore, as I read from a related discussion from the site of
Helsingin Sanomat (in Finnish),
"the interpretation tradition (in astrology) for Xena, Orcus, Sedna,
etc. is still in development". Whee...

More interesting point is the one which K. Sinenmaa  made, is that "now
science has finally started
embracing democracy" and "someday the scientists must likewise to vote
what is the ultimate elementary
particle". (Reminds me something about what Feynman wrote in one of his
books.)

Antti