[math-fun] sums of factors in GF(2)

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Aug 2 21:07:26 CEST 2006

A. There are other sums to zero.  For example, (1+x+x^2) + (1+x^2+x^3)
+ (1+x+x^4) + (1+x^3+x^4) = 0, and the parenthesized polynomials are
all irreducible.  I doubt that these can be usefully characterized, but
a few points can be noted:

1) Such a term can include x only if it also includes x+1.  The terms
other than x all have 1 for their constant term, so there must be an
even number of them.  Except for x+1, all have an odd number of
non-zero coefficients, so if x was present and not x+1, the total
number of non-zero coefficients would be odd, making the sum non-zero.

2) Likewise, if x+1 is present, x must be.  (Substitute x+1 for x in
each polynomial.)

3) If x and x+1 are not present, the number of terms must be even; if
they are present, it must be odd.  At least 4 terms are required.

B. Yes.  We can get every polynomial of degree <= 1: 0 from the empty
set (sum of the prime divisors of 1), 1 from (x) + (1+x), and x and
(1+x) are irreducible.  Since there is at least one irreducible
polynomial of each degree n, which can be added to the polynomials of
lower degree to get all polynomials of degree n, by induction every
polynomial of degree n occurs.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters